miércoles, diciembre 24, 2014

Resiliency, in a Land like no other - Sri Lanka.

When the tsunami happened 10 years ago, I wasn’t there, I was stubborn to go back home to Colombia for Christmas, and I think, that save my life and change it forever.

I went back to Sri Lanka and found myself useless facing the disaster, but encourage to do something. Few months after I was at the camps working with kids in art projects, trying to add some color to all the surrounding, and I realized that all the surrounding was the one that gave real color to my life.

Visiting affected areas, listening stories from survivals, meeting volunteers from all around the world, working with friends, learning from Sri Lankans people supporting each other, and discovering though kids eyes what really felt, it question my life for ever and change my career path.
I ended up making a dream come true; illustrating a kids book that was after translated into 4 different languages. Thanks to my friend Timothy who had the great idea, I did the illustration of “The 3 friends the big wave” and that became a summary of my experience: Friends supporting and learning each other, team work, the ocean, life, past, future… a colorful feeling about resiliency; the ability to overcome challenges of all kinds–trauma, tragedy, personal crises, –and bounce back stronger, wiser, and more personally powerful.

I am grateful to see how Sri Lanka has stand-up stronger, and now, 10 years after, I want to remember the Land Like No Other that change my life, made me stronger and taught me to see life in a different color.

Today being part of Flower of life project (http://www.floweroflife7.blogspot.ch) made my think about how much I have grown, how I appreciate life and how we all connected in a magical way and touched in different forms. That's the beauty of life… be a unique and colorful flower and part of a better garden. Thanks to all for making a garden where one wants to belong.

------------

Cuando el tsunami ocurrió hace ya 10 años, yo no estaba allí, fui testaruda y me fui a casa a Colombia a pasar navidad. Creo que eso salvó mi vida y la cambió para siempre

Volví a Sri Lanka y me encontré inútil viendo todo el desastre, pero a la vez motivada para poder hacer algo. Algunos meses después me encontraba en los campamentos, haciendo proyectos de arte con niños, tratando de añadir color a mi alrededor, y me di cuenta que fue ese alrededor el que dió color a mi vida.

Visitando áreas afectadas, escuchando historias de sobrevivientes, conociendo voluntarios de todas partes del mundo, trabajando con amigos, aprendiendo como los Srilanqueses se apoyaban mutuamente y descubriendo a través de los ojos de los niños lo que verdaderamente sintieron, cuestioné mi vida para siempre y cambió mi carrera profesional.

Terminé haciendo mi sueño realidad: ilustrando un libro infantil que fue traducido a 4 idiomas. Gracias a mi amigo Timothy que tuvo la genial idea, hice las ilustraciones para el libro “Los 3 Amigos y la ola gigante” lo que se convirtió en un resumen de mi experiencia: Amigos apoyándose y aprendiendo mutuamente, trabajo en equipo, el océano, la vida, el pasado, el futuro… un sentimiento colorido sobre la resiliencia: la habilidad de sobreponerse a los retos de todo tipo, traumas, tragedias, crisis personales, y volver fortalecido, más sabio y con más fuerza personal.

Estoy agradecida de ver como Sri Lanka se ha levantado más fuerte y ahora, 10 años después, quiero recordar a esta tierra única que cambió mi vida, me fortaleció y me enseño a ver la vida de un color diferente.

Hoy, ser parte del proyecto “Flower of life” (Flor de la vida- http://www.floweroflife7.blogspot.ch)  me hace pensar sobre cuanto he crecido, como aprecio la vida y de que manera mágica estamos conectados y tocados unos y otros en formas diferentes. Esto es lo hermoso de la vida… ser una flor única y colorida y ser parte de un jardín mejor. Gracias a todos por hacer parte de un jardín donde uno quiere pertenecer.

Maria A. Pérez M.













No hay comentarios.: